If you’re injured in an accident by another person’s negligence, then you assume that person’s insurance company will pay for your medical expenses. However, this is not always the case. Many people are not compensated fairly by insurance companies. In fact, many insurance companies try to give victims as little compensation as possible. Similarly, if the person who caused your injury doesn’t have insurance, then you won’t receive the compensation you need.
In situations like this, it is best to hire an accident injury lawyer. Accident injury lawyers work to make sure their injured clients receive fair compensation. However, there are some cases when hiring an accident injury lawyer is not worth it. For example, if your injuries are minor. It is best to handle small injuries on your own rather than finding an accident injury lawyer and possibly going to court. The financial pay isn’t worth it for minor injuries.
On the other hand, if one of the following circumstances applies to you, then you should consider hiring an accident lawyer:
- You were required to have surgery because of your injuries.
- You have suffered a traumatic brain injury.
- You have been out of work for a long time because of your accident.
- A prior health problem or injury has worsened because of your accident.
- You have a permanent impairment resulting from the accident.
- You are unable to perform the activities of basic living, such as feeding yourself, dressing yourself, or walking because of your accident.
- You are required to have physical therapy or another form of long-term treatment because of your injuries.
Keep in mind that accident injury attorneys typically work on a contingency basis. This means you will only have to pay if you win the case. Contingency fees can be as much as 40 percent. For example, if you are able to get a $25,000 settlement, then your attorney could take up to $10,000. Make sure that you ask the attorney about the contingency fees before you decide to hire him or her.
Your accident injury lawyer will help you decide whether it is best to settle out of court. A settlement is less risky, faster, and less expensive than going to court. However, in many cases, it is worth it to go to court. Accident injury lawyers can be immensely helpful if you’ve been seriously injured and need to fight for fair compensation. Rather than attempting to handle the situation yourself, you should hire professional, experienced help.
Featured Image Source: DepositPhotos / © eric1513Posted on January 6, 2017